Friday, March 7, 2014

The Godfather

I did not particularly like The Godfather. I didn't think that it was amazing, but I also didn't think it was completely terrible. I guess I was more indifferent about it. I just don't understand why it is considered a classic, or, by some, one of the greatest films of all time. I did not like the plot of the movie. I am not really interested in this particular time of history though, or the concept of organized crime, so this movie was kind of boring to me. I suppose that this movie portrays organized crime well though, and it would be interesting and a good movie to someone who is interested by that type of thing in history. The only parts of the movie that really impacted me were all the deaths, and how all the deaths occurred. Many of them shocked me and many made me actually cringe. The way they treated people, killing left and right as if people were not alive human beings, was appalling. I can't say I got a particular theme or message out of this movie. I would only recommend this to others if they are interested in the very specific topic of organized crime, otherwise, it would probably bore most people.

Vito Corleone is essentially the "moral" center of this film.  Out of all of the Corleone men, I feel like he is the one with the best moral compass. Although he had done many bad and illegal things throughout his life, it has all been with his family in mind, and to protect them. He also refuses to get wrapped up in the drug business, which shows that he really does have a moral center and cares about doing the right thing. Although I did not really like this movie or connect to any particular characters, it was sad when Vito Corleone collapsed and died in his tomato plants. Allthough many people were freed from the manipulation of the Don when he died, it was still a sad moment and the "end of an era".

I don't know much about organized crime, but I imagine this film is very different from how it is normally portrayed. I imagine that organized crime would for the most part be told from the outside. The stories of the horrors of organized crime would be told from an outside point of view, without truly knowing what the reasons for it are or what is going on inside. This movie lets you see that. It shows you what the reasoning is behind all the crime, what the people are really thinking and doing. This is a fresh new perspective on the concept of organized crime. This new angle could be why many people consider this movie such a classic. I, however, don't agree with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment